Please note: This unit format was copied from the Bloomsburg University Student Teaching Manual to give you an idea of the unit requirement for student teaching. Once you begin student teaching, your student teaching supervisor may give you a variation of this unit format. PLEASE NOTE THAT THE FORMAT WILL ALSO VARY FOR THE "PRINCIPLES OF TEACHING" UNIT REQUIREMENT.
The information on this page was reproduced from the Bloomsburg Student Teaching Manual for Elementary, Early Childhood, and Secondary Education majors.
PLEASE NOTE THAT SPECIAL EDUCATION AND BUSINESS MAJOR REQUIREMENTS MAY VARY.
Component Parts for a Thematic Unit:
1. THEME: Select an appropriate theme, COVER (theme title, your name), and TABLE OF CONTENTS
2. NATIONAL STANDARDS / STATE MANDATES:
3. GRADE LEVEL APPROPRIATENESS:
4. FOCUS: Develop a focus statement that summarizes the intent of the unit:
5. OBJECTIVES: Identify five objectives for students to have skill acquisition.
6. MATERIALS AND RESOURCES:
a. Printed Resources:
b. Computter and CD-ROM Resources: (Cite or provide evidence of three)
-educational software, e-books, cyberjournals, and CD-ROM adaptations.
c. Internet Resources: (Cite five)
d. Audio/Visual Resources: (Title & Source)
-videos, three overhead transparencies (graphics & text), records and audiotapes.
e. Community Resources:
1. guest speaker – one activity pre/post
2. field trips – one activity pre/post
f. Literature Resources (Cite ten)
literature sources – Author, Title, Copyright, Publisher (City & State), and ISBN#
7. GENERAL ACTIVITIES: Develop ten activities you would use throughout the unit covering the cross-curricular areas.
8. DIFFERENTIATED INSTRUCTION: Develop one lesson for differentiated instruction.
9. CULMINATING ACTIVITY: Plan a project or activity that engages students in purposeful summarization of their discoveries.
10, EVALUATION: Devise three means of evaluation for student progress.
11. WORKS OF LITERATURE: Develop a graphic organizer based on a selected book(s) that relates to the theme.
122 WORD SEARCH/PUZZLE: Develop one puzzle for your unit from www.puzzlemaker.com
12. REFERENCES: (Cite five) Use APA format.
ALL OF YOUR WORK HAS TO BE IN A SPIRAL BOUND (8-1/2”x11”) COMPILATION
Return to Principles of Teaching Home Page